Dental implants are a restorative procedure that beautifies your smile and reinforces your jawbone to prevent bone degradation and facial sagging. Your dentist in Camarillo, CA, Dr. Michael McCarthy, can help restore your smile with dental implants.
What's a dental implant?
If you've lost a tooth, you need to replace it so you don't suffer any negative tooth loss side effects. Dental implants are tooth-like prosthetics that replace missing tooth roots. They consist of a titanium post, an abutment, and a crown.
What does getting dental implants consist of?
- A local anesthetic is applied to the area that will undergo the procedure.
- Your dentist removes any tooth left and inserts a titanium post into the jawbone.
- The titanium post replaces the root and is biocompatible, so there is no worry of tissue rejection.
- The doctor surgically closes the area and allows it to heal for a period of 3 to 6 months.
- During these few months, the process of osseointegration takes its full course. This is basically the bone fusing the titanium post to reinforce your jawbone. You wear a temporary crown while you heal.
- When you return, your Camarillo, CA, dentist inserts an abutment and places a custom-made permanent crown over the abutment that matches the rest of your teeth.
What are the advantages of dental implants?
- Implants have a high success rate of over 95%.
- They don't slip out of place like other prosthetics.
- They are comfortable and restore speech and eating.
- They reinforce your jawbone to prevent facial sagging.
- They can replace a single tooth in your teeth, a few teeth, or all of your teeth.
- Dental implants look and feel natural.
How to make an appointment with your dentist?
If you have questions or concerns, Dr. McCarthy can help. Call his office, located in Camarillo, CA, at (805) 482-3214 to book an appointment today!